November 10, 2009

What does war do to people?

Filed under: ALL POSTS,GENERAL QUESTIONS @ 9:53 am and

In general, how does war influence or change human beings? Do you think it generally makes them better (such as people who rise to the occasion to become heroes) or worse? Try to explain why this change occurs. Support your answer with logic and evidence from your book.

5 Comments »

1.   maliag-P.C-Finishing Becca — December 8, 2010 @ 6:58 pm    

From reading my book “Finishing Becca” I think the war influences and affects people emotionally, physically, and their own views of things. People whose country or loved ones who are at war often put them at edge and bringing up their worst’s fears. Like how Becca felt when she visited her brother Blair at the Camp Valley Forge where many soldiers and officers camp in the harsh cold, and are literally starving and becoming ill in the not so pleasant environment. The war also makes people mature faster and see things differently, how like Becca did when she saw the hungry and ragged soldiers and officers and feeling ashamed of her mopping of not ever going to a ball in a grand carriage like she had seen Peggy her mistress and her sisters had done in the evenings as she worked at the household. Blair, Becca’s big brother had also matured too from the war from being the young and healthy boy she knew, to an older more somber man with his hair spotted with white with only his laugh to recognize him by. The war had also affected people’s economy and life style like it did to Becca’s step dad, Henry Job’s products sale and Mr. Shippen’s money on his store of specie making the finances harder for both and other people who are affected by the war too. I think the war does and doesn’t make people better because some may change in heart from the realization of the reality. Or some may whom were the hero before turn to the bad guy like Benedict Arnold did when he changed sides and went to the British and became a traitor against the Americans.

2.   Sara U, pdE, Finishing Becca — December 11, 2010 @ 4:27 pm    

I think that war can completely change people for good and bad. Blair had to mature but as Becca said on page 156 he still had his same laugh. He had to mature and change a lot and Becca also said that he has the same longing look in his eyes as all the other soldiers on page 155. Blair was forced to change and not just be a boy, but instead grow into a man all of a sudden even though he isn’t ready for it. Blair matures and learns lessons because of the war.
    I think that Peggy changes the least due to the war. She doesn’t regard the fact that every day her father’s income is going down, but instead continues to throw away the money on impractical clothes and expenses. She continues to remain selfish and absorbed in herself and money. She is the one who makes Benedict Arnold go to the other side and work for the English because he wasn’t getting enough money because of the war.
    In general, war definitely does change people. It is nearly impossible for something like war to not change a person. People are constantly in the way of danger and having to guard themselves from the other armies and what not. War is a horrible thing that causes nothing but bad and hatred in people.

3.   Sara U, pdE, Finishing Becca — December 11, 2010 @ 4:28 pm    

sent it again to be sure

4.   Mikayla M, period A, Sarah Bishop — December 11, 2010 @ 10:46 pm    

War changes people in a way that people can’t really imagine. In the book that I had read, Sarah Bishop is accused of a crime that she didn’t commit (pg. 66) and she had to flee for her life because if she didn’t run away, she would have been captured and put into prison. I don’t think that war makes someone a better person because they could have been tramatized by something and that could have changed their lives forever. The war can affect people in most ways that are very different and alike at the same time. Such as a person could have gone to war and they could have came back home in the same body, but with a different mind.
    In Sarah Bishop, Sarah had to flee for her life and in doing so, she couldn’t trust anyone ever again because they could be on the British side to capture Sarah and take her to prison. (pg. 77-78)
    Maybe this change occurs because war is such a big and dangerous thing that it can get to people to where they can no longer do anything that invovles other people. Just like Sarah Bishop, she couldn’t trust anyone or do anything with any body because she didn’t know whether or not they were the British. She only trusted one person who was an Indian named John Longkife. (back of book)

5.   Tyler Y, period B, Johnny T — December 14, 2010 @ 8:00 pm    

I think that war makes people worse. Sometime they could become better but not everybody becomes heroes. In My Brother Sam is Dead Sam’s dad saw his friend die in front of him. Things like that could scar people for life. In My Brother Sam is Dead Sam also said that war turns people into savages especially if their friends or family dies. I believe in war people make assumptions and do foolish things. I believe war can often bring out the worst in people.

RSS feed for comments on this post.